Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Deodorant that actually works and is aluminum free!

Years ago I became so disgusted with the idea of having aluminum (a known carcinogenic) in my deodorant that I stopped using it all together.  Sure I smelled but I figured that by around 4:00 each afternoon even my store bought deodorant had given out anyway so what was the difference.  I've since learned that a large part of the odor comes from an unhealthy diet but other factors come in here too such as hormonal fluctuations etc.

So when a friend of mine gave me a recipe for the homemade deodorant that she used I was excited but a little skeptical that it would actually do the job.  Even if it did work for me I wondered how would it handle my husband's heavy physical work load or my growing girls.  Since making the change however I have never looked back.  This recipe not only helps me sleep better at night (because I feel good about the ingredients; no additional sleep benefits that I know of...) but it lasts ALL DAY!  Yes, you will still sweat.  This is a good thing.  It is how the body cleanses itself and we don't want to stop that.  But it will not be accompanied by the embarrassing odor.  Yeah!

*One special note: If you notice that it is a little too irritating to your skin simply adjust the recipe to have more arrowroot powder and less baking soda.  It's not rocket science, don't be afraid to experiment to find the right mix!  I add whatever essential oils I am in the mood for though I would stay away from very astringent ones.

Here is the recipe I use:

3-4 Tbl. Coconut Oil  (2 parts)
2 Tbl. Baking Soda    (1 part)
4 Tbl. Arrowroot Powder  (2 parts)
Essential Oils

Mix together your baking soda and arrowroot powder first and then add in the coconut and any essential oils you are using.  The consistency should be creamy not runny or crumbly.  If it is just adjust wet and dry ingredients to get it to where you want it.  You can even save an old deodorant tube and scoop it in though I prefer just a small glass jar with a lid.

I recommend making a small batch that can be used up in a relatively short period of time if using for youth.   Remember fingers can introduce bacteria (though coconut and many essential oils are anti-viral and anti-bacterial) so make sure hands are clean when dipping in.  SORRY THE MOM IN ME IS REALLY COMING OUT NOW, I'M SURE YOU KNOW THAT LAST ONE ;)

It does not require refrigeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment